Graaff-Reinet, the fourth oldest town in South Africa, is recognized as the home of magnificent examples of Cape Dutch architecture, and over 220 heritage sites (more than any other town in South Africa!). The past is preserved in four extraordinary museums which hold collections of photographic memorabilia, firearms, artworks and fossils, tracing the story of the Karoo – and the town – from pre-history right up to the present day.
Graaff-Reinet is centrally located and is the municipal and commercial centre of the Camdeboo region.
Constitution Of the Graaff Reinet Chamber of Commerce
The Graaff Reinet Chamber of Commerce was established in 2008 with the following objectives:
- To represent the commercial, industrial and professional community of Graaff-Reinet, to promote the economic, cultural and environmental development of the district;
- To develop a commercial environment in which entrepreneurship can flourish;
- To establish a rapport with civic, business and other sectors of the Community and be recognised as representing and presenting the view of commerce to the Community;
- To assist in the promotion of trade and to keep Members informed of trade opportunities;
- To keep Members informed on important matters affecting trade, commerce and industry and to
render a varied and comprehensive service to its Members;
- To consider and respond to and advocate the amendment of Municipal, Provincial or State
legislation, regulations and policies and the by-laws, regulations and policies of local government
bodies and other corporations directly or indirectly affecting commercial interest and for such
purposes to take all such steps or proceedings as may be expedient;
- To establish and maintain relations with bodies having similar objects throughout the world;
- To provide business related information and professional advice pertaining to legislation governing employer/employee relations and conditions of employment, trade and economic affairs, taxation,small business incentives, tourism, education and training by using the media, including the internet and e-mail.
- To provide networking opportunities with local and international business contacts for generating
- To promote social responsibility and community growth through our commitment to and support of appropriate community project.
Click on the link below to view/download a copy of the Constitution of The Graaff-Reinet Chamber of Commerce dated 2008-11-06
Application for Membership
- Applicants for Membership must apply in writing in the manner that the Executive Committee
prescribes. Application form is found on the membership options.
- Any reputable person, firm, company, corporation, authority or association engaged or interested in commerce is eligible as a candidate for Membership. Candidates for membership of the Chamber become Members of the Chamber after election in the manner described in these rules and after payment of the set subscription fee.
- A properly constituted meeting of the Executive Committee will have the power to elect a member by ballot of a majority of members present at the meeting held subsequent to the receipt of the
- All firms, companies, corporations, authorities or associations must submit in writing to the Secretary, the name of the nominees who are to act on their behalf at meetings etc. of the Chamber. No organisation will be allowed to have more than 2 nominees of whom only 1 may vote.
- Nominees must be employees of, or associates of, the nominating institutions, and must be
approved by the Executive Committee.
- Written notice of the revocation of power as nominee must be given by an institution to the Secretary of the Chamber along with the name of the proposed succeeding nominee.
- Corporate Membership – Any reputable firm, company, corporation or authority engaged in commerce and interested in the objects of the Chamber.
- Micro Membership – Any reputable firm or company engaged in commerce and interested in the objects of the Chamber, with less than five employees and approved by the Executive Committee as a Micro Business.
- Private Membership – Any reputable person interested in commerce and the objects of the Chamber.
- Honorary Membership – The Executive Committee may elect to Honorary Membership of the Chamber persons distinguished in public affairs, commerce, education, finance, consular officials or any person that the Executive Committee considers desirable to admit to Honorary membership. Honorary Members are not entitled to vote at meetings.
Register of Members
- The Executive Committee will keep a register of Members recording the preferred name, postal address, electronic mail address (if provided) and the date of entry to the Chamber of each Member;
- The register will be available for inspection at all reasonable times by any Member who
previously applies to the Secretary for inspection.
Download membership application form Adobe pdf format (174kb)
Membership Fees 2017/2018
- Corporate Membership – R2750.00 per annum
- Local Graaff-Reinet Business – More than 5 employees – R1245.00 per annum
- Micro Graaff-Reinet Business – Less than 5 employees – R950.00 per annum
- Private Membership – R680.00 per annum
|Chairperson, Business Safety and Community Liaison||Hendrik (Hento) Davidsemail@example.com|
|Vice Chairperson||Dawie Putterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Treasurer & Secretary||Mr. Arland Stanleyemail@example.com|
|Infrastructure Development||Mr. Okkie Fouriefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Agri and Farming (Ex Officio)||Doug Sternemail@example.com|
|Tourism (Ex Officio)||Jack van Niekerkfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Marketing, Web Design & Fundraising||Fanie Prinslooemail@example.com|
|Public Relations||Kim Imriefirstname.lastname@example.org|